You know I don’t do reblogs but this… *shudders*
Let’s nip it in the bud: Not. Shakespeare. It’s from Verdi’s Falstaff libretto.
one of the worst things about becoming educated on social issues is when people are like ‘you used to have a sense of humor’
no i used to have internalized prejudices which i’ve worked really hard to overcome and i realize now that your jokes are shitty
Always reblog this because becoming more socially aware makes you dislike a lot of people
The weirdest difference is the sound of the trains. British train horns have a surging sound. It’s the sound of a hundred and eighty five tons of metal hurling itself towards the future. It’s a lie, but it’s a bright one. Here we come. We’re good at this. We leap into the future at a hundred and twenty five miles an hour.
American train horns are so different. I’d lay in bed at night and…
View On WordPress
Today I learned that if something is labeled H310, then you do not touch that shit.
This is lovely.
This—this is far closer than the weird Raven-Babe a lot of folks seem to imgaine
Why feeding water birds bread is harmful:
- Duckling Malnutrition: In an area where ducks are regularly fed bread, ducklings will not receive adequate nutrition for proper growth and development. Furthermore, because ducks will naturally seek out an easy food source such as human handouts, ducklings will not learn to forage for natural foods as easily.
- Overcrowding: Where an easy food source is abundant, ducks and other waterfowl will lay more eggs and the pond or lake will become overcrowded. This makes it more difficult for the birds to seek out healthier food sources and increases the likelihood of territorial aggression.
- Pollution: When too much bread is offered to ducks, not all of it will be eaten. The soggy, uneaten bread is unsightly and rotting bread can create noxious odors as well as lead to greater algae growth that can clog natural waterways. This concentrates the pollution and can eventually eradicate fish and other life in the vicinity.
- Diseases: Feeding ducks bread can increase the spread of diseases in two ways. First, a carbohydrate-rich diet leads to greater defecation, and bird feces easily harbor bacteria responsible for numerous diseases, including avian botulism. Second, moldy bread can cause aspergillosis, a fatal lung infection that can decimate entire duck and waterfowl flocks.
- Pest Attraction: Rotting supplies of food leftover from sated ducks will attract other unwelcome pests such as rats, mice and insects. These pests can also harbor additional diseases that can be dangerous to humans.
- Loss of Natural Behaviour: When birds become accustomed to handouts, they lose their natural fear of humans and may become aggressive in order to get more food. Their loss of fear can also cause other dangers, such as a willingness to cross busy roads in order to reach picnickers and other likely sources of food.
Good Foods to Feed Ducks:
The best foods for ducks are those that provide the nutrients, minerals and vitamins the birds need for healthy growth and development. Many of these foods are similar to the natural seeds, grains and plants the birds will forage on their own. As omnivorous birds, ducks will eat a great deal of different foods, and the best foods to offer ducks include:
- Cracked corn
- Wheat, barley or similar grains
- Oats (uncooked; rolled or quick)
- Rice (cooked or uncooked)
- Birdseed (any type or mix)
- Grapes (cut in half)
- Frozen peas or corn (defrosted, no need to cook)
- Mealworms (fresh or dried)
- Chopped lettuce or other greens or salad mixes
- Vegetable trimmings or peels (chopped)
- Duck feed pellets or poultry starter pellets (x)
Every year I will reblog some kind of reminder of this! Please don’t feed waterfowl bread.
I used to volunteer at a country park and we would literally ban people if they fed the ducks and swans bread. People said it was because we wanted to make money via the seeds we sold in the gift shop (which were a special blend especially for waterfowl) but in reality it is because disposing of ducks that had died from being fed too much bread was starting to have a mental impact on the volunteers.
Oh wow I didn’t know this! Everyone should know this!
Bread is not a good food for birds, period.
I raise and breed waterfowl and am highly invested in their wellbeing, wild or domestic. Thank you for this very necessary post enlightening the masses.
I want a ray gun. I WANT ALL OF THE RAY GUNS.
Sorry, I just went mad with power at the thought of owning a ray gun.
Stop referring to them as “Men’s Rights Activists.”
This legitimizes them by framing their bigotry in the language of progress.
Start referring to them as organized misogynists, rape apologists and proponents of violence against women.
Do not concede a single inch of ideological ground to them.
Do not let them control the discourse.
Allow them no platform.
Allow them no reprieve.
Destroy them completely.
"science dad" was pretty much the only job I ever wanted, damn you all
Reblogging because NdGT and other STEM cheerleaders (including popular webcomics like xkcd and SMBC) like to commodify themselves and STEM disciplines while denigrating the humanities and the liberal arts. While we in the US (and, more so as time passes, the rest of the West) have been in a profound corporatist anti-intellectual Moment that devalues STEM and the humanities, turning against each other only benefits those who profit from this Moment.
When I first saw dGT’s comments, I had two related thoughts. Firstly, I thought that maybe paying more attention to the liberal arts and humanities might’ve helped Cosmos (1)tobe more effective in its rhetoric by not alienating a good chunk of its audience through cocksure grandstanding that may make dGT and the writers feel proud but only really preaches to the choir and (2) to be more accurate to the history it purports to champion and explore as it uses that history to argue analogically about contemporary crises. (The lead poisoning of Rome comes immediately to my mind.) Secondly, I thought that someone really needs to pull dGT and others of his mood aside and tell them that although they may have had some crappy philosophy, writing, lit, and history teachers, the rest of have also had some crappy math, physics, chem, and bio teachers.
Here is how the internship scam works. It’s not about a “skills” gap. It’s about a morality gap.
1) Make higher education worthless by redefining “skill” as a specific corporate contribution. Tell young people they have no skills.
2) With “skill” irrelevant, require experience. Make internship sole path to experience. Make internships unpaid, locking out all but rich.
3) End on the job training for entry level jobs. Educated told skills are irrelevant. Uneducated told they have no way to obtain skills.
4) As wealthy progress on professional career path, middle and lower class youth take service jobs to pay off massive educational debt.
5) Make these part-time jobs not “count” on resume. Hire on prestige, not skill or education. Punish those who need to work to survive.
6) Punish young people who never found any kind of work the hardest. Make them untouchables — unhireable.
7) Tell wealthy people they are “privileged” to be working 40 hrs/week for free. Don’t tell them what kind of “privileged” it is.
8) Make status quo commentary written by unpaid interns or people hiring unpaid interns. They will tell you it’s your fault.
9) Young people, it is not your fault. Speak out. Fight back. Bankrupt the prestige economy.